Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Rest in Peace Addy Bourneman

Yesterday morning I heard the bad news.
Addy Borneman has passed away.
Even now, I don't have any details. I don't know how it happened. I doubt knowing would lend me any peace during such a difficult time.
If you weren't lucky enough to have known Addy, there's still a good chance you have seen her work, or felt her influence. I don't think it would be too big of an exaggeration to call Addy an inspirational figure in the world of comedy. Under her many aliases, included Lettuce Dog and Gay Vape Shark, she helped define and cement the look and feel of the "Weird Facebook" style. Memes, Shitposting and all variety of ironic and inane styles of internet humour owe so much to her presence. Articles have been written about her, she even made her way to her own show on [adult swim], Bottom Text, which you should check out if you haven't seen it yet.
I admired Addy for so, so many reasons. I only ever dabbled in meme-making myself, but as a cartoonist, there was a lot of ways I could still learn from her. Too many times, she would say something that got me just right and through the laughter I would ask "can I use that in a comic?" and she'd just go "sure." I have this running list of great quips and comments to work into a story that came from just random conversations we'd have. I always wanted to work together with her in a more in-depth capacity, maybe write a TransCat episode together, but we could never seem to find the time. She was definitely on my shortlist of people I wanted to hire for my writer's room as soon as TransCat The Show became a reality.
Apart from just her success as a funny person, I feel like I learned so much from her, not the least of which, how to defend against the inevitable bigotry you run into as a trans woman with humour. I feel like my own ability to cut down transphobes with jokes was strengthened by her fearlessness.
Addy, your absence will be felt. We're poorer for having lost you. I'm sorry I was never able to tell you to your face how much I enjoyed having you around. I'm sorry I was never able to be there for you in the ways you deserved. I hope that if there's any small comfort to be found in his tragic event, it's that you live on in SO many people now. Your style and flair has cultivated an uncountable amount of loving imitators who found their inspiration in your snark. The Zuckerbergs, the David Avocado Wolfs, The Pete Buttgeigs, and Seth McFarlanes of the world will never be safe from our barbs.


Godspeed Addy Borneman
03/14/1985 - 04/13/2020

1 comment: